Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Great War Reading Challenge

The Great War Reading Challenge (June 2010 - June 2011)

This is a personal reading challenge, though you're more than welcome to join in! ;-)

Ever since high school (and an excellent teacher!), I have loved history.  As I moved on to university (guess what my major was ;-), my fascination with it grew and developed.  I took courses in a variety of subjects - medieval, women's, African, British, Canadian - until in my last year I took a World War One course.  Ever since then, I have continued to read any non-fiction war book I can get my hands on. 

Since beginning this blog in the not so distant past, I decided to formalize my interest in World War One by a personal reading challenge: The Great War Reading Challenge. 

My plan is to read books (either fiction or non-fiction, from any age level) that deal with World War One (1914-1918), its origins, events, and lingering effects, before reviewing them.  I'll have a mainly Canadian focus, but will not limit myself entirely: I have never read anything about the Australian experience, and I want to re-read (and re-watch the original film version) Erich Remarque's All quiet on the western front.

At the moment I don't have a set number of books that I'm aiming for - I just can't decide!  I read a lot of non-fiction; it probably accounts for about half of my reading material (and the other half is usually romance and fantasy!)  (Yes, I'm a geek - usually the first place I head to in the local bookstore is the non-fiction section...)

I don't have a set reading list (especially since I can't decide on an ultimate number, either...), but the following couple titles will be, at some time or another, read and reviewed:

Tim Cook: At the sharp end: Canadians fighting the Great War, 1914-1916 (vol. 1)
Tim Cook: Shock troops: Canadians fighting the Great War, 1917-1918 (vol. 2) *
A. B. Godefroy: For Freedom and honour?: the story of the 25 Canadian volunteers executed in the First World War
Erich Remarque: All quiet on the western front

* this book won the 2009 Charles Taylor prize for literary non-fiction

7 comments:

Miss Moppet said...

Great challenge and I love the button. You should submit it to the Novel Challenge blog: http://novelchallenges.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your books!

Jenn said...

Thanks! I feel like an infant around so many great blogs (and bloggers!), but I figure I'll eventually find my own path...

Tammy said...

LOVE your site! Just became a new follower. Can't wait to read some of your reviews. Have a great weekend!

Jenn said...

Thanks Tammy! I'm just getting started, so things are slowly evolving... have a great weekend yourself! Jenn

Mel u said...

I just completed having a group read on my blog of what is universally regarded as the best WWI novel-the tetrology by Ford Madox Ford, Parade's End. -I like the idea of your reading project a lot-there is a Japanese novel I like a lot set slightly before this time frame-1902-Death March: A Documentary Novel by Jiro Nitta-it concerns a training exercise of Japanese troops for war in extreme cold conditions

Shelley said...

I'm considering joining this even though I'm trying to lay off challenges. WWI always seems to be overshadowed by WWII. I love the button!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any books set in World War One lately, but I did see a movie - Paths of Glory with Kirk Douglas; it might interest you - I understand it's based on a novel that was based on a real incident. LRK

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050825/