Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Her Royal Spyness (Royal Spyness Mystery, 1) by Rhys Bowen

Title: Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen (2008)
Author Status: new author
Series Status: new series
Rating: 4 stars
Would I read this author again: I've already placed the second book in the series on hold...
Personal Reading Challenge(s): 1st in a Series, 100+

My ridiculously long name is Lady Victoria Georgiana Charlotte Eugenie. Thirty-fourth in line for the throne, I am, as they say, flat broke. When my brother, Binky, cut off my meager allowance, I bolted from Scotland - and my engagement to Fishface (I mean, Prince Siegfried) - for London, where I have:

a) built a fire in the hearth - entirely on my own, thank you very much

b) fallen for an absolutely unsuitable Irish peer

c) made a few quid housekeeping incognita, and

d) been summoned by the Queen herself to spy on her playboy son

Less than thrilled with this last bit, I'm wondering what to do when an arrogant Frenchman - who was trying to swipe our family estate! - winds up dead in my bathtub. Now, my new job is to clear my very long family name...


My Thoughts:  Loved it! Funny, slightly romantic, lots of character development, historical (but certainly not stuffy!), very cozy. Figured out the "bad guy" half way through, though my reasoning was slightly off... ;) I do have an issue with the cover - Georgie has reddish-blonde hair! Can't wait to read the rest of the series!

1 comment:

Cathy S. Kress said...

I just finished the first book in the series, and loved it. But I, too, was wondering why on earth the cover featured a blonde, when at least twice Georgie's red hair is mentioned.
Another case of the cover artist not reading the book ... or the publishers thinking blondes sell more books.
Thanks for noticing.
Cathy S. Kress
http://momentaryjoy.blogspot.com