Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cats, Chunkies, Fantasies and Romance (Reading Challenges #2)

Challenge the Fifth...


Hosted by Beth at Beth's Book Review Blog, the "Cat Book Challenge" is:

You probably know that I'm a big cat lover and I also wanted to host my first book challenge so what better thing than to combine them! So, I'm hosting the 2010 Cat Book Challenge!

Challenge Guidelines:

1. You can join anytime, and the challenge runs from January 1, 2010 until December 31, 2010.

2. When you sign up with Mr. Linky below, use the direct link to the post where your challenge book list will be listed, not your blog homepage. If you don't have a blog, just leave the URL blank.

3. The goal is to read 1 cat book per month for a total of 12 for the year. This can be any book with "cat" in the title or about cats (cats as characters, etc.).

4. These can be audiobooks, children's books, non fiction, mysteries, whatever, as long as it's cat related.

My Thoughts:

Um, cats? And books? I think I'm in heaven! ;-)

My initial reading list: ...is still undecided!

*~~~~~*~~~~~*

Challenge the Sixth...


Hosted by Caribousmom at a dedicated blog, the "The Chunkster Challenge" runs from February 2010 until January 2011, and is "a challenge which satisfies those readers who like their books fat and chunky!"

Definition of a Chunkster:

A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) ... A chunkster should be a challenge.

If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more ... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.

Challenge Guidelines:

1. No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks. No e-Books allowed - we are reading traditional, fat books for this challenge. Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.

2. Books may crossover with other challenges.

3. Anyone may join. If you don't have a blog, just leave me a comment on this post with your progress (and to let me know you are playing). You don't need to list your books ahead of time.

4. Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level! The three levels are:

      *The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who has a couple of large tomes on their TBR list, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. 3 books is all you need to finish this challenge.
      *Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 4 Chunksters over the next twelve months.
      *Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.

5. To review or not to review, that is the quesion...Reviews are not mandatory, but they are strongly encouraged. I will be putting up a Mr. Linky at the beginning of the challenge for links to your reviews. I will also be posting a Mr. Linky for wrap up posts at the end of the challenge.

6. To sign up, please use Mr. Linky below by linking DIRECTLY to your post about the challenge (please, please - do NOT link to your main blog page!!). If you do not have a blog, just enter your name in the name part of Mr. Linky and hit enter (also leave me a comment telling me which level of participation you will be doing).

My Thoughts:
I think (though I could be wrong...) I tend to read smaller books.  However, I have picked up a few recently that definitely qualify as "chunksters".  Hence this challenge!  I'm aiming for level 2, "*Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big?", which means four books...

My initial reading list:
1. Tim Cook: At the sharp end (non-fiction, 608 pages, hardcover)
2. Elizabeth Kostova: The historian (fiction, 656 pages, hardcover)
3. Gavin Menzies: 1421 (non-fiction, 520 pages, hardcover)
4. ? fiction ?

*~~~~~*~~~~~*

Challenge the Seventh...


Hosted by Royal Reviews (though the challenge post is currently at Queen of Happy Endings), the "Fantasy Reading Challenge" is:

The Fantasy Reading Challenge can include YA Fantasy or Historical Fantasy, Science Fiction Fantasy or any other sub genre of Fantasy. There really are no limits to this challenge as Fantasy is such a wide and varied genre. Just enjoy and have fun!

Challenge Guidelines:

1. Anyone can join. You don't need a blog to participate.

2. There are four levels:
      i. Curious – Read 3 Fantasy Fiction novels.
      ii. Fascinated – Read 6 Fantasy Fiction novels.
      iii. Addicted – Read 12 Fantasy Fiction novels.
      iv. Obsessed – Read 20 Fantasy Fiction novels.

3. Any book format counts.

4. You can list your books in advance or just put them in a wrap up post. If you list them, feel free to change them as the mood takes you.

5. Challenge begins January 1st thru December, 2010.

6. When you sign up under Mr. Linky, put the direct link to the post about the Fantasy Fiction Reading Challenge. Include the URL so that other participants can find join in and read your reviews and post.

My Thoughts: I'm aiming for level 2, "Fascinated" (6 fantasy fiction books).  I haven't read as much fantasy lately as I would have liked... and now here's my chance!

My initial reading list: ...is coming soon!

*~~~~~*~~~~~*

Challenge the Eighth...


Hosted by the Book Dragon and Yvonne at a dedicated blog, the "Harlequin/Silhouette Romance Reading Challenge" ...

Challenge Guidelines:

1. Challenge is from Jan 1 to Dec 31, 2010

2. All of the books must be from the Harlequin family of imprints

3. Read one book for each requirement:
      i. Read 1 book with a weather condition in the title (i.e. storm, rain, snow)
      ii. Read 1 book with a person's name in the title (i.e. Mary, John)
      iii. Read 1 book with a title in the title (i.e. King, Prince, Princess, Sheik)
      iv. Read 1 book with a color in the title (i.e. red, blue, white)
      v. Read 1 book by an author whose last name begins with the letter "R"
      vi. Read 1 book with an element in the title (earth, water, fire, air, spirit)

4. Please join the challenge by commenting with a link to your post (I'll start a participant blog roll)

5. A list is not necessary and may be changed at any time

6. Books can be in any format - paper, audio, ebook

7. Books may be used for other challenges

My Thoughts: You know how some books or authors are "comfort" reads? Well, Harlequins' are mine...

My initial reading list: ...is coming soon!

*~~~~~*~~~~~*

I've created a "Reading Challenges" page where I'm planning to keep track of my progress for all of my challenges, including these and others...

No comments: