Thursday, June 17, 2010

Old vs. New? (B.T.T. #2)


This week's Booking Through Thursday question:

Do you prefer reading current books? Or older ones? Or outright old ones? (As in, yes, there’s a difference between a book from 10 years ago and, say, Charles Dickens or Plato.)

Usually I read new or newish fiction.  If I find an author I really like, I'll hunt down his/her back list of older titles (if there is one).  For non-fiction, it depends on the material - for some topics only the most updated material is appropriate, while for others the date when the title was written is irregardless.  I'm challenging myself this year to read really old (such as Beowulf or Plato) books; I have read Plato's Republic, but it's been such a long time... ;-)

(As an aside, my all-time favourite book was first started by its author in 1796 and originally published in 1813 - yes, it's Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice)

5 comments:

Madigan Mirza said...

I like reading whatever's newest... one must stay au courant, after all. Not to say that I don't love classics (especially beloved favorites like P&P) but yeah, there's a certain in thrill in reading the newest releases.

Kristin said...

I love this question - everyone has such interesting answers. Here's mine.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

If you can get your hands on the unabridged audio version of Seamus Heaney's Beowulf, I highly recommend it. I had to special order it from my library, but it was worth it.

Here is my answer on Rose City Reader.

The Social Frog said...

I downloaded some much older books on my Kindle last night, ones I have been wanting to read for a while, they are not what I normally read as I tend to love best sellers but I am looking forward to reading them this year.

Bibliophile said...

I'll read any book that is interesting, but I read very few just published books, because I only buy new books by a couple of authors, preferring to buy other books second hand or get them from the library.